Spitfire Mk. I

The final element of my Battle of Britain build is the Spitfire Mk. I. Like the Messerchmitt, construction of the Spitfire went just as well. At least with this one I didn’t break or ruin anything. The wing fitting was a little off but it didn’t take much to correct. This build, along with the Messerschmitt, was enjoyable. Both kits could be completed within a few days time. The only downside, to me, was the lack of an open canopy along with some cockpit detail.

20131127-100347.jpg

20131127-100400.jpg

20131127-100411.jpg

Messerschmitt Bf109E

The Messerschmitt Bf109E is one of my favorites from World War II. I enjoyed this build immensely. Part by part, it went together as one would hope for but I must confess my own faults during this build. As I previously stated, I lost the original spinner to the propeller and also broke off the tail wheel. Well, I continued to ruin two more propeller spinners before I was able to get it right. Careless mistakes, but I got through it.
The paint job took patience and lots of time. I enjoy the look of the German style paint schemes and this one was a good experience to try. It gave me confidence to build some more WWII German aircraft.

20131126-164835.jpg

20131126-164911.jpg

20131126-164946.jpg

The Battle of Britain

For my next two builds, I’ve chosen to stay with the WWII theme. I picked up Hasegawa’s limited edition Spitfire Mk. I & Messerschmitt Bf109E “Battle of Britain” kit a while back for the bargain price of $4.99. Like a few of my other builds, I had no future plans for this kit. Thanks to my WWII era initiative, they have drastically moved up in the pecking order.
Upon opening the box, you’ll find both kits in separate bags. Each kit is moulded in typical hasegawa fashion. There was some minor flashing on the Bf109. Nothing major, just a little unexpected. Everything else looks great. Cockpit detail is bare. The canopies come in the closed position making cockpit detail unnecessary. I added seat belts anyway. So far, these kits have been a pleasure to build. In a twenty-four hour period, the Bf-109E’s fuselage was complete and the wings were adhered with one round of filler into the roots. Somehow I managed to brake the tail wheel off leading me to add some protection to the wing cannons. I cut thin strips of cardboard and taped them over the guns to keep my clumsy hands from causing any more damage.
In that same time frame, I was able to get the fuselage together on the Spitfire. This build is most definitely going to be a quick one. I’ve taken two days away from the build and I am eager to get going again. If all goes as planned, these two historic fighters should be on the shelf by the weekend.

20131118-222718.jpg

20131118-224316.jpg