Details

Progress has been so so lately with the exception of today. The Lippisch has revealed it’s flaws while the scratch-building has been successful. The bulkhead and headrest have been installed while the rest of the cockpit has been put on hold. I put the vertical stabilizer/cockpit on the wing and the left side is oddly bloated. I keep reminding myself that this kit was only a couple of dollars. The first layer of filler was sanded and primed today shining light on the remaining gaps to be filled. Hopefully, I put the final round of filler on tonight so I can get back to the cockpit. My fingers are crossed.
The success story of the day is the scratch-building of the in-flight refueling probe for the F-104. The kit I chose to build is Hasegawa’s “Red Baron” special edition kit. My intentions were always to build a different version of the Starfighter from this kit. I found it a while ago for $12.00 and figured I could scrounge my spares box or find after market sets to build a wartime F-104. Luckily, the kit came with everything that I needed except for decals, which I already had.
Leading up to the build, I decided that I wanted to build the “C” version. The F-104C was used during the Vietnam conflict and was painted in the SEA camouflage scheme. The obvious detail lacking from my kit is the in-flight refueling probe. While I was looking through my spares box for added detail to the Lippisch, I came across a spare probe from an F-100. Bingo! The hardest part had been solved. Next to build was the blister that the probe would fit into.
To start, I researched the shape of the blister. It is a pretty basic design with clean angles. I cut three .8mm flat styrene strip pieces all the same length. I chose to give myself some insurance and cut the pieces longer than I needed. Next, I glued two of the pieces together in an off set then adding the third on top to form a triangle. After the glue set up, I used a razor saw to cut the excess of the hangover off. Using the razor saw again, I cut the front of the blister at an angle to resemble the real thing. I used sanding sticks to bring all the edges together and then used a 1/16″ drill bit to drill out a hole to insert the probe into. The original probe was straight leading to a little shaping. The back of the blister will need to be cut at a taper as well but it will have to wait until I get a little farther into the build. Overall I think it will pass as acceptable. The whole process only took about twenty minutes to complete. It was an easy means to a big detail.

20140214-230058.jpg

9 thoughts on “Details

  1. Fascinating work. I tried to build a model plane once so understand the talent, patience and skill needed. Looking forward to reading more of your posts. My model plane bit the dust alas.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s